What is Operation Streamline?
What happened prior to Streamline?
What Happens in Streamline courts?
- First-time border crossers are charged with illegal entry which is a criminal misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in prison.
- Those with prior removals are charged with illegal re-entry, which is a criminal felony punishable by up to two years in prison.
Pleas and Sentences
Do Streamline defendants have lawyers?
Are Asylum Seekers Prosecuted in Streamline?
How Much Does This Cost the U.S Taxpayers?
- The Office of Inspector General for the Department of Homeland Security faulted the DHS Office of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in 2015 for not tracking the full costs of Streamline.
The U.S. Government Accountability Office also criticized CBP for not accounting for all the costs of Streamline implementation, focusing only on CBP’s own costs. https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/682074.pdf
- In 2016, to mark ten years of Streamline, Grassroots Leadership and Justice Strategies published a comprehensive report on the history and impact of Streamline in all border areas. The report estimated that the cost of incarceration over ten years totaled at least $7 billion, but the authors did not attempt to calculate all the other costs associated with Streamline prosecutions, such as attorneys and other courtroom personnel. https://grassrootsleadership.org/reports/indefensible-decade-mass-incarceration-migrants-prosecuted-crossing-border
- In 2019 the End Streamline Coalition researched the full costs of conducting the daily Tucson, Arizona Streamline court, and estimated a total of $62.4 million per year for Tucson alone. https://endstreamline.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Tucson-Operation-Streamline-Cost-Study-2-4-20.pdf
Are There Other Costs?
- According to ICE, in 2016 three quarters of immigration prisoners were detained in private prisons.
- According to the Migration Policy Institute, between 2007 and 2014, CoreCivic’s overall annual profits increased by 47% to $195 million. In the same time period, GEO Group’s annual profits grew from about $42 million to $144 million – an increase of 243%.
Is Immigrant Criminal Prosecution an Effective Deterrent?
End Streamline meets regularly and welcomes visitors and new participants.
Contact us at for meeting dates and location.